Saturday, December 20, 2008

OTL.......Over The Line.........

Over the line….Let’s see how many times I can offend….or at least write the word.


What type of humor is ‘Over The Line’…? How far can ya go with views and comments before people get hurt, upset or offended? I guess I’ll find out.

There are some things that are funny to one group of people that may not be funny to another. Some people are looking for ways to get hurt or offended. They listen to what a person says and immediately think of some way that it offends them…or they are ‘standing up’ for some other person or group. I hope those people die. Ok…maybe I just got under someone’s skin with that statement.

I commented on a picture awhile ago that was an offensive picture to many people, if not most people. I didn’t realize (for some unknown reason) that it would end up on many pages…..and although I didn’t get any feedback…..I think silently people were offended. I thought it was a funny picture…and a funny comment. We won’t go back over it.

There are some things that are a bit Over The Line. If someone loses a pet in terrible plane or boating accident…you don’t tell them “At least ya ain’t gotta pick up poop any more from that smelly little hound.” …or…. “Hey….ya ain’t usin’ them little bowls anymore….can I have them?” …or worse….point and laugh and say “Ha ha…you’re petless!” Most would agree that this would be OTL.

But what about commenting on something like an ugly shirt? With a close friend you can say something like “I remember when those were in style.” …or….”Nice shirt…do they make them in men’s?” or Curt’s favorite… “So…did you lose a bet?” All old standards…..but these don’t hurt feelings or make people cry. If softball comments such as these cause you psychological harm…..you need counseling and should live in a rubber truck.

Now and then I see a picture…or read a line to which I really, really, really want to add a comment….and have to stop and think… “..hmm…that would be going too far..” and then I usually type away. Sometimes I don’t….which is good for all. So I just gotta say… for all the people that read my comments and find them offensive or OTL….be sure to let me know….because secretly…or not so secretly….I hope you die. Too far?

--g




Grant’s Fun Fact: There were originally 67 books of the Bible. The book of Seuss which had a verse that said “It would please us, Jesus, if you would cure us of our diseases.” - It's true. Look it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the line is extremely thin.


...................................

Unknown said...

funny, funny stuff! Mrs.Jeppson didn't go over that 67th book in bible lit. class.